A ROUGH DAY
I just have to share my not so very good day with you. It was yesterday. I woke up feeling terrible. My antibiotic had not kicked in yet. I was coughing, sneezing, blowing my nose constantly, tired, etc. etc. I had 2 sick babies and was sick myself. I needed to be super mom, but felt like lazy mom. Here's how it went down: Anniston wouldn't take a morning nap so she was cranky. Hutch wouldn't take an afternoon nap and while I was trying to convince him to, he woke up Anniston after only a 20 min nap. NIGHTMARE!!
Also, Hutch had been pulling on his ears all day and wouldn't lay flat so I'm thinking his ear infection is not being controlled by his Omnicef. It had been 4 days so his ears should not have been hurting. I called the advice nurse and based on his symptoms she talked to a doctor (not ours, he is out on Tuesdays of course). They decided we should switch him to Augmentin. I suggested I bring him in to make sure. No, she said. His symptoms indicate ear pain. He needs a stronger medication. Since I worked at this same office and handled these same types of phone calls before I had the babies, I know that moms like me can be quite annoying when they try to suggest other options. So I said OK and proceeded to get the new, stronger, hard on your stomach Augmentin.
By this point both babies are tired, cranky, and won't nap. I decided to load them up and just drive around so that they would sleep. Yes, it is a waste of gas but I was tired, sick, and desperate. They HAD to take a nap! So I'm driving around thinking about this ear thing. I just had to get them checked to know for sure. What if they weren't still infected? What if he just started to get in the habit of playing with his ears? I know it's a coincidence, but it's possible. I didn't want to put him on yet another 10 day course of antibiotics for nothing. So yes, I took him to the doctor. And yes, his ears were fine. Healing quite nicely actually. So much for the "advice" nurse. I think I'll pass! I do love our pediatrician and the staff though. They are usually right on.
So we load back up , I give the babies their sippy cups of milk and we head home. Brandon is working late so it's just me. It's around 5:30. I go to get Hutch out of his seat and he apparently drank his whole 9oz of milk in a matter of minutes and had thrown up all over himself and his seat. He didn't seem to mind. I cleaned it up and took the babies inside and fixed their dinner.
I was about to put them in their hi-chairs when I decided I should check to see if they are dirty. Due to the antibiotic they are on and the fact that I give them probiotic drops, their "dirty" diapers do not smell so the only way to know if they are dirty is to look....smell is not reliable at this point. I take off A's pants and there is poop EVERYWHERE!! All over shirt, pants, down to knees on her legs. It is a TOTAL mess. I cleaned her up and in the process got it all over the blanket and pillow on the couch. I put her down to throw the dirty stuff in the sink and before I can even turn on the water she is in the middle of the kitchen playing in a pile of pee with Hutch. They thought they were in a water park. She was standing in it and he was sitting in it. I didn't have a diaper on her b/c we were headed straigt to the bathtub. So at this point I undress Hutch too and he is walking around in a diaper. I give A a bath, we eat dinner, and they remain in diapers only until bedtime. And I did it all without yelling, screaming, or saying one bad word. How's that for a rough day? But the good thing about this rough day is that I love them even more for what we go through together :)
Also, Hutch had been pulling on his ears all day and wouldn't lay flat so I'm thinking his ear infection is not being controlled by his Omnicef. It had been 4 days so his ears should not have been hurting. I called the advice nurse and based on his symptoms she talked to a doctor (not ours, he is out on Tuesdays of course). They decided we should switch him to Augmentin. I suggested I bring him in to make sure. No, she said. His symptoms indicate ear pain. He needs a stronger medication. Since I worked at this same office and handled these same types of phone calls before I had the babies, I know that moms like me can be quite annoying when they try to suggest other options. So I said OK and proceeded to get the new, stronger, hard on your stomach Augmentin.
By this point both babies are tired, cranky, and won't nap. I decided to load them up and just drive around so that they would sleep. Yes, it is a waste of gas but I was tired, sick, and desperate. They HAD to take a nap! So I'm driving around thinking about this ear thing. I just had to get them checked to know for sure. What if they weren't still infected? What if he just started to get in the habit of playing with his ears? I know it's a coincidence, but it's possible. I didn't want to put him on yet another 10 day course of antibiotics for nothing. So yes, I took him to the doctor. And yes, his ears were fine. Healing quite nicely actually. So much for the "advice" nurse. I think I'll pass! I do love our pediatrician and the staff though. They are usually right on.
So we load back up , I give the babies their sippy cups of milk and we head home. Brandon is working late so it's just me. It's around 5:30. I go to get Hutch out of his seat and he apparently drank his whole 9oz of milk in a matter of minutes and had thrown up all over himself and his seat. He didn't seem to mind. I cleaned it up and took the babies inside and fixed their dinner.
I was about to put them in their hi-chairs when I decided I should check to see if they are dirty. Due to the antibiotic they are on and the fact that I give them probiotic drops, their "dirty" diapers do not smell so the only way to know if they are dirty is to look....smell is not reliable at this point. I take off A's pants and there is poop EVERYWHERE!! All over shirt, pants, down to knees on her legs. It is a TOTAL mess. I cleaned her up and in the process got it all over the blanket and pillow on the couch. I put her down to throw the dirty stuff in the sink and before I can even turn on the water she is in the middle of the kitchen playing in a pile of pee with Hutch. They thought they were in a water park. She was standing in it and he was sitting in it. I didn't have a diaper on her b/c we were headed straigt to the bathtub. So at this point I undress Hutch too and he is walking around in a diaper. I give A a bath, we eat dinner, and they remain in diapers only until bedtime. And I did it all without yelling, screaming, or saying one bad word. How's that for a rough day? But the good thing about this rough day is that I love them even more for what we go through together :)
That's one Supermom!!
ReplyDelete