Get well soon!!
Well, it finally happened. My babies got sick despite my Hitler rules about handwashing and keeping everything clean. I knew it would eventually happen, but was not prepared for how long it would last. We had a healthy first year, despite Anniston's reflux and one cold for Hutch. I'm so thankful it didn't happen earlier, and that when it did happen they were strong enough to fight it on their own.
It all started January 19th. We were supposed to have a play date with some boy/boy twins born a day after mine. We had been trying to plan this play date for quite awhile, and Hutch was finally gonna have some boys to play with, but Anniston had other plans. She woke up with a runny nose. Not much, but I didn't want to take any chances so I cancelled the play date. Needless to say we still haven't rescheduled.....
A few days later Hutch woke up at 3:30am BLAZING hot! I took his temp and for some reason my thermometer was set on Celcius and it read 40.1!!! Now, being a NICU nurse and charting in Celcius, I knew the normal range was 37.5-38.5, so while I didn't know exactly how high this fever was, I knew it was WAY too high. I rushed to the computer to do the conversion and it was 104.2! I immediately got him some cold juice and Motrin and then called the pediatrician's office. I had to wait 45 minutes for them to call back and in the meantime Hutch had 3 febrile seizures. Scary to say the least. I took him to Dr. Pinkley first thing the next morning, thinking he may have an ear infection. Nope. Dr. P. thought it was a reaction to the MMR he received one week prior. I had totally forgotten that was a possibility. Anyways, this fever lasted for 5 days and was highest at night, meaning Hutch and I were up most of those nights and miserable. Him more so than me. I was just sleep deprived and worried out of my mind that there was something else terribly wrong.
A few days after that I took Anniston to the doctor because she had had a runny nose for a week, which is the earliest they will consider seeing a child with the only symptom being a runny nose. Yep, you guessed it. She had an ear infection. So onto the Amox we went. She developed a mild rash. Dr. said it was an antibiotic rash, not an allergic reaction so we continued. She was on it a week and her fever went back up so I took her back in. Amox not working, onto Augmentin. 2 days later, HORRIBLE rash all over whole body. Took her back in and decided to bring Hutchie too since he had just begun to cough and we were going anyways (thanks for the suggestion, Gigi!). Anniston was (and is) definitely allergic to amoxicillin and all penicillins for that matter (amox is an ingredient in the Augmentin in case you are wondering). And Hutchie tested positive for RSV - yep, that's right. The DREADED 3 letters for any mother of a preemie to hear, especially one who had breathing difficulties at birth. He was on nebulizer treatments for a few days until they stopped working. I didn't know what to do when they stopped working and he was still wheezing so I took him back to the doctor. Yep, ear infection. Onto the Omnicef. He is better now but still has a slight cough. I get home from the doctor with him and Anniston starts coughing. I thought she may escape, but no. This was this past Friday. Well this Monday I had this feeling come over me that Dr. Pinkley was not making enough money off of us already and that we may need to contribute a little more to his income. So I took her in to have her ears checked. Right again - DOUBLE ear infection. Onto Omnicef for her too. In the meantime both Brandon and I have gotten RSV and it has gone into sinus infections for us.
So the update is this:
Hutch - on the mend, still has slight cough
Anniston - coughing a lot and has a runny nose, but so far no wheezing
Brandon - working so hard for our family he hasn't taken time to go to the doctor but he will tomorrow - he needs an antibiotic
Kelly - almost finished with a zpak for sinus infection - feeling better
Even though they've been sick, they continue to get even cuter. It's a wonder to me. I always think there is no way they could possibly get any cuter and then they wake up and I change my mind :)
It all started January 19th. We were supposed to have a play date with some boy/boy twins born a day after mine. We had been trying to plan this play date for quite awhile, and Hutch was finally gonna have some boys to play with, but Anniston had other plans. She woke up with a runny nose. Not much, but I didn't want to take any chances so I cancelled the play date. Needless to say we still haven't rescheduled.....
A few days later Hutch woke up at 3:30am BLAZING hot! I took his temp and for some reason my thermometer was set on Celcius and it read 40.1!!! Now, being a NICU nurse and charting in Celcius, I knew the normal range was 37.5-38.5, so while I didn't know exactly how high this fever was, I knew it was WAY too high. I rushed to the computer to do the conversion and it was 104.2! I immediately got him some cold juice and Motrin and then called the pediatrician's office. I had to wait 45 minutes for them to call back and in the meantime Hutch had 3 febrile seizures. Scary to say the least. I took him to Dr. Pinkley first thing the next morning, thinking he may have an ear infection. Nope. Dr. P. thought it was a reaction to the MMR he received one week prior. I had totally forgotten that was a possibility. Anyways, this fever lasted for 5 days and was highest at night, meaning Hutch and I were up most of those nights and miserable. Him more so than me. I was just sleep deprived and worried out of my mind that there was something else terribly wrong.
A few days after that I took Anniston to the doctor because she had had a runny nose for a week, which is the earliest they will consider seeing a child with the only symptom being a runny nose. Yep, you guessed it. She had an ear infection. So onto the Amox we went. She developed a mild rash. Dr. said it was an antibiotic rash, not an allergic reaction so we continued. She was on it a week and her fever went back up so I took her back in. Amox not working, onto Augmentin. 2 days later, HORRIBLE rash all over whole body. Took her back in and decided to bring Hutchie too since he had just begun to cough and we were going anyways (thanks for the suggestion, Gigi!). Anniston was (and is) definitely allergic to amoxicillin and all penicillins for that matter (amox is an ingredient in the Augmentin in case you are wondering). And Hutchie tested positive for RSV - yep, that's right. The DREADED 3 letters for any mother of a preemie to hear, especially one who had breathing difficulties at birth. He was on nebulizer treatments for a few days until they stopped working. I didn't know what to do when they stopped working and he was still wheezing so I took him back to the doctor. Yep, ear infection. Onto the Omnicef. He is better now but still has a slight cough. I get home from the doctor with him and Anniston starts coughing. I thought she may escape, but no. This was this past Friday. Well this Monday I had this feeling come over me that Dr. Pinkley was not making enough money off of us already and that we may need to contribute a little more to his income. So I took her in to have her ears checked. Right again - DOUBLE ear infection. Onto Omnicef for her too. In the meantime both Brandon and I have gotten RSV and it has gone into sinus infections for us.
So the update is this:
Hutch - on the mend, still has slight cough
Anniston - coughing a lot and has a runny nose, but so far no wheezing
Brandon - working so hard for our family he hasn't taken time to go to the doctor but he will tomorrow - he needs an antibiotic
Kelly - almost finished with a zpak for sinus infection - feeling better
Even though they've been sick, they continue to get even cuter. It's a wonder to me. I always think there is no way they could possibly get any cuter and then they wake up and I change my mind :)
Breathing treatments - he fought me at first, then started to enjoy "being a fireman!"
Baby Girl's rash....it lasted for over a week :(
There are NO words.....
Comments
Post a Comment