Anniston's Ears
So for the past few days I've been thinking Anniston's ear infection is back. She completed a 10 day course of a 5 day antibiotic last week so I was hoping she would get rid of the infection/fluid, but no. I should have listened to myself and taken her in Monday but her symptoms were so vague that I thought the doctor would think I was bringing her in for no reason. Should have listened to myself! I finally took her (and Hutch) in Tuesday afternoon. Hutch has really been playing with/digging in his ears for the past few days. Of course our ped is out on Tuesdays so we saw another one. He was great with them. Hutch's ears are clear! Infection free/fluid free. Woohoo!!! He is just getting his molars - ouch!
Anniston's ears on the other hand are not clear :( They are both infected and both have fluid. Since she is allergic to penicillins and has already tried an oral cephalosporin (Omnicef) and an oral macrolide (Zithromax) with no success......there really weren't other drug classes to try as far as oral drugs to treat her infection, which is what I was afraid of. (FYI: I told Mom on the way that no matter what I wasn't gonna let her get Rocephin.....read on). The doctor recommended 3 days of Rocephin injections (an injectible cephalosporin) but also gave me the option of one shot and 10 days of Omnicef or just 10 days of Omnicef. Since it didn't work in the past, there would be no point in using the Omnicef again, right? That's what you would think, but that is a HARD decision for a Mommy to make, especially a Mommy who has given this shot to babies/toddlers in the past and felt SO guilty while doing it. I always got angry that the doctor would order this b/c of the reaction of the child it was given to. I absolutely HATED giving it! And here I am letting it be done to my own! But, I know it is in her best interest. There really was no other reasonable option.
I stayed in there with her and Mom took Hutch to the waiting room. Annistion is a breath holder and this was by far her most dramatic performance. Her lips and nose turned blue....talk about scary. I was doing everything I know to do to get a baby to breathe and NOTHING was working! She finally decided to breathe thankfully, but it was a long 15 seconds or so. She may have been a premature, low birth weight baby, but that girl sure does have some NICE lungs, let me tell ya!
The doctors are hoping that the warmer weather will help heal her ears, but if not she will be getting tubes. I'm really hoping these shots can kick it. I've also started giving her Zyrtec daily. It may help, it may not, but it won't hurt. Dr. Pinkley thinks that all this is left over from the ear infection she got with RSV...the infection goes away but the fluid doesn't and it just keeps getting reinfected. So if we can clear the fluid with the Rocephin, we should be fine. Please pray that this treatment will help my sweet litte girl!!
Anniston's ears on the other hand are not clear :( They are both infected and both have fluid. Since she is allergic to penicillins and has already tried an oral cephalosporin (Omnicef) and an oral macrolide (Zithromax) with no success......there really weren't other drug classes to try as far as oral drugs to treat her infection, which is what I was afraid of. (FYI: I told Mom on the way that no matter what I wasn't gonna let her get Rocephin.....read on). The doctor recommended 3 days of Rocephin injections (an injectible cephalosporin) but also gave me the option of one shot and 10 days of Omnicef or just 10 days of Omnicef. Since it didn't work in the past, there would be no point in using the Omnicef again, right? That's what you would think, but that is a HARD decision for a Mommy to make, especially a Mommy who has given this shot to babies/toddlers in the past and felt SO guilty while doing it. I always got angry that the doctor would order this b/c of the reaction of the child it was given to. I absolutely HATED giving it! And here I am letting it be done to my own! But, I know it is in her best interest. There really was no other reasonable option.
I stayed in there with her and Mom took Hutch to the waiting room. Annistion is a breath holder and this was by far her most dramatic performance. Her lips and nose turned blue....talk about scary. I was doing everything I know to do to get a baby to breathe and NOTHING was working! She finally decided to breathe thankfully, but it was a long 15 seconds or so. She may have been a premature, low birth weight baby, but that girl sure does have some NICE lungs, let me tell ya!
The doctors are hoping that the warmer weather will help heal her ears, but if not she will be getting tubes. I'm really hoping these shots can kick it. I've also started giving her Zyrtec daily. It may help, it may not, but it won't hurt. Dr. Pinkley thinks that all this is left over from the ear infection she got with RSV...the infection goes away but the fluid doesn't and it just keeps getting reinfected. So if we can clear the fluid with the Rocephin, we should be fine. Please pray that this treatment will help my sweet litte girl!!
Comments
Post a Comment